Registration is essential. Please register here to receive your personal confirmation link.
Now in its eighth year, the Lowy Institute Media Award is Australia’s premier award for recognising excellence in foreign affairs journalism. It is presented to an Australian journalist or team working in print, broadcast or online media who has deepened the knowledge or shaped the discussion of international policy. The winner or winning team receives $20,000.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Institute has decided not to hold a Media Award Dinner in 2020. Instead, on Thursday 29 October at 5pm, the Institute will broadcast a 30-minute online video presentation featuring the finalists and their work.
The broadcast will also include a conversation between Lowy Institute Executive Director Dr Michael Fullilove AM and The Hon. Peter Costello AC, Chairman of Nine Entertainment Co and former Treasurer of Australia, about the media landscape in 2020. Following this conversation, the winner of the 2020 Lowy Institute Media Award will be announced.
2020 Lowy Institute Media Award finalists:
- Angus Grigg and Jemima Whyte – nominated for a series of articles in The Australian Financial Review on the Horizon Oil corruption allegations in Papua New Guinea.
- Kate Lyons – nominated for her work as Pacific Editor for Guardian Australia.
- Sophie McNeill, Echo Hui and Jeanavive McGregor – nominated for two episodes of ABC’s Four Corners: “Rebellion”, about the fight for democracy in Hong Kong, and “Tell the World”, about the mass internment of Uighur people in Xinjiang, China.
- Hans van Leeuwen – nominated for his work as Europe Correspondent for The Australian Financial Review.
2020 Lowy Institute Media Award judges:
- The Hon. Julie Bishop, Chancellor of Australian National University and former Australian Foreign Minister.
- Jenny Brockie, SBS journalist and presenter.
- Louisa Lim, author, former China correspondent for BBC and NPR, and Senior Lecturer in Audiovisual Journalism at the University of Melbourne.
- Mark Ryan, Executive Director of the Judith Neilson Institute and Lowy Institute Board Member.
- Dr Michael Fullilove AM, Executive Director of the Lowy Institute.
The Lowy Institute is grateful for the support of our event partner.
All Lowy Institute public events are on the record and open for media attendance.